Learning Bird is always looking to connect with specialized talent to augment our team’s skills. These specialized skills include Indigenous artists, voiceover artists, translators, animators, storytellers, and illustrators. We are also interested in building our pool of graphic designers, video creators, videographers, instructional designers and other content specialists that align with our projects.
If you are a freelancer who is interested in working with us, please send us an introduction package that includes the following:
- An overview of your skills and service offering
- Your hourly rate or rate card
- Examples of your work (portfolio or website link)
- Client references
We typically invite promising candidates to a 15-minute informal meet & greet to validate qualifications/availability and answer any questions they may have about the role. Select candidates may be asked to complete behavioural and cognitive assessments and a sample assignment.
We are currently looking for independent contractors with the following skills:
- Curriculum Development
- Graphic Design
- Voice Over Artists
Send an introduction email with your CV or website link to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A freelancer is a self-employed person who delivers services under a contract on an as-needed basis, using their own tools. At Learning Bird, Freelancers invoice monthly based on the established rate and hours worked. Payment is made within 30 days by Interac e-Transfer.
Learning Bird is committed to building a diverse and inclusive team of collaborators. As an organization that works with First Nations, Métis and Inuit communities, we value Indigenous perspectives in the workplace and strongly encourage Indigenous freelancers to apply.
Join a great team and do meaningful work!
Learning Bird supports First Nations, Métis and Inuit schools and Nations in building curricula, custom courses, and digital resources. Learning Bird is a 100% remote company with contributors located across Canada.
About the Freelance Editor
This job focuses on producing high-quality, detailed work based on established standards, guidelines and procedures. The job environment is professional and provides the opportunity to get to know the team. We are looking for freelance editors to assist our in-house editor handle work surges as they arise. You will be editing and proofreading a mix of videos, handouts, slides and other curriculum documents for our online platform and marketing materials. You will use and contribute to our custom style guide and validate content in various Indigenous languages.
What you will do:
- Read and evaluate written text for grammatical and typographical errors
- Liaise with writers to determine the composition of specific texts in a document
- Compare formatted proofs (documents, on-screen text in video, presentations, etc.) against the original copy to identify errors or omission
- Evaluate the dimensions of page elements such as images, text spacing and positioning to ensure they conform to set specifications.
- Ensure page numbers are in the correct order and not repeated or omitted
- Analyze documents to ensure chapter titles match the list of contents, etc
- Rephrase written text to ensure document structure and content are consistent
- Ensure illustrations are suitably captioned and referenced
- Validate text against a client-specific style guide or internal dictionary
- Contact authors directly to clarify grammatical inconsistencies related to style and text choice
- Forward proofread materials for approval and publication
- Edit for inclusion
Education, Training, & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, mass communication, or a related field
- Two years of related experience
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to provide constructive feedback to writers
You must also have the following:
- A suitable remote work environment and computer
- An appropriate broadband Internet connection
- Strong technology skills
- Available primarily within EST business hours.
- CAD 40.00 per hour, invoiced monthly
We will only contact candidates selected for a meet & greet session.
Send us your CV in PDF format (no Word docs, please). Show us who you are and what you can do, and tell us how you think we can work together.